UNPLUGGED...Questions for Hillary Harris

By Pauline Parry

In my "unplugged" series in which I talk with event pros who inspire us, I sat down with Hillary Harris, Executive Director of Special Events at Warner Bros. Studios. It was right after she gave a wonderful presentation to the WIPA audience gathered at Mr. C in Los Angeles.

In that presentation, we journeyed with Hillary as she took us through the decades with weddings from her upbringing in the sixties in Newport Beach to now. It was interesting to see how so much of what has gone before informs what we are doing today in decor, food and customs. As is the style of this column, I wondered what in her personal life might affect, inspire and motivate the design work at the high-profile events she produces at Warner Bros.

Just recently Hillary completed the Environmental Media Association Awards which featured a stage show and an after party of food stations manned by Los Angeles' best restaurants. This year's star-studded event was notable for a stage upon which an 18-foot (custom built) tree "grew." See more on that event here. Photo: Nadine Froger


The jewel in the crown of Hillary's portfolio this year was the Worldwide Marketing International Television Gala. More about that to come. Photo: Nadine Froger



LA Screenings in which foreign buyers are feted for a week as they screen new TV properties features a Country French look across Brownstone Street. Scrims painted with billowy clouds offered shade and an overall motif for the event look. See more on this event here. Photo: Nadine Froger



These events are fabulous. I believe one can always tell so much about a an event professional and their style by looking at their home. Hillary, how would you describe your home?

As if it were designed by an explorer who has traveled from island to island hunting and collecting eclectic furnishings and objets d'arts.

Something like this?
 

Very much like this! You get the feeling of the look I'm going for -- a combination of romance and nature!

What is your favorite objets d'art in your home and why?
A 1950's reclining mermaid sculpture found at the pool of an estate in Palm Springs. It now has a kidney-shaped glass top and is the perfect coffee table -- very Slim Aarons.

 Slim Aarons (1916-2006) was a quintessential Hollywood photographer who captured the steamy summer lifestyle of the rich and famous in postwar America. This photo of Delores Del Rio was shot by Aarons in 1952.

Do you have a favorite time of day?
Our scenic arts department calls it the "magic hour," that time of day just after the sun has set and the sky is filled with colors such as purple, peach and rose. Everything else becomes a silhouette.

What is one of your most sentimental pieces of clothing or jewelry?
My step mom always wore a gold bee on her left shoulder. She called it her "good do bee." When she passed away from cancer in 2004 she wanted to leave behind a part of her to let us know she loved us and to give us courage through challenging times.

Unbeknown to my sisters and myself, she had a jeweler replicate her gold bee and each of us were presented with this gift at her memorial. We wear our bees when we are all together during times of celebration. I also wear it when I'm producing a challenging event. It works! It reminds me of my step mom and her bee gives me strength.



What is your favorite reality show obsession and why?

Top Chef. I had the opportunity to co-produce one of the segments on Season 2 so I feel a bit connected to the show. Plus, my favorite form of entertainment is exploring new restaurants or having friends over for brunch or dinner, so the show gives me a lot of ideas. And, it's great to watch someone else doing all the work!

What is one restaurant we will never find you at?

Denny's

What's your favorite meal after a long event?

Hah!I love this question. After we produced the Environmental Media Awards last month, the next morning my entire team and I craved bacon sandwiches on croissants with fresh fruit and a lot of orange juice. Yep, my favorite meal after a big show is breakfast the next morning!

What is your favorite beverage?
Lately it has been so warm at the studio and most of my shows have been outside. This means long, hot days of setup. To combat that, we get a big tall glass at the cafeteria, go to the salad bar and plop in a sliced cucumber, a squeeze of lemon wedge, then fill the glass with crushed ice, cold water and about one inch of lemonade. We call it our WB Spa Summer Swizzle. It really quenches the thirst and keeps us hydrated.

When you entertain, what's your favorite thing to serve?

I like to experiment with friends so I always try something ethnic (love those theme nights), lots of hors d'oeuvres, family-style platters of big flavor food, fun cocktails, champagne (always), and good wine. And anything that can incorporate ice cream for dessert.

What is the one thing in life you'd like to accomplish?

To be quick to listen and slow to speak.


In the past year, what was your biggest accomplishment professionally?
It was mentioned at the beginning -- the Worldwide Marketing International Television Gala. We did one of the largest digital mapping jobs ever done in the United States. It was a big year, so additionally I'd have to say the launch of our celebrity wedding division and being selected by BizBash as one its Top Innovators of the year.

What have you accomplished the most personally in your life this past year?

I made some new, wonderful friends that I hope to have in my life for a very long time.

 A Tesla performance at this year's International Television Gala at Warner Bros. was one of several favorite effects from events Hillary has produced.

What has been your favorite event that you have designed and produced?
That's a hard question as there have been so many favorites. It's a toss up between this year's International Television Gala which I mentioned before because there were so many "firsts" for me on that show -- the digital mapping, the transition from Asian decor to an African theme, the coal walking, Tesla performance (see photo), a burning voodoo doll, and so much more ... you can see more of it here). Ellen DeGeneres' 50th birthday party was really special. It was a Louisiana style carnival with bumper cars, a 100-foot Ferris wheel and a custom-designed house of mirrors. Those were both very memorable for me.

What do you remember about high school?
I remember being bored in high school. I could hardly wait for college. In college, I dated a lot and had fun. But then I could hardly wait to start working full time.

What do you wish you had known then that you know now?
 To take the time and value personal relationships above making a living. And certainly, to invest in real estate earlier than I did!


What did you learn from your father?
Demonstrative love and a sense of humor.

And from your mother?
Fearless creativity.

What can we always find in your fridge?
Water and orange marmalade.


What are you reading now?
I just finished the Shades of Grey trilogy. I wasn't going to read them, but an elderly woman at an airport book store told me I'd learn a lot from reading it. She was right!
 

What irritates you most about modern life?
Texting versus talking.

Anything else you'd like to add?
No, this is already too long. Enough of me already!


For those of you who want more on Hillary and her events, check out her blog, www.hillonhollywood.com





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOUSE OF OMURICE BY SUNNY SIDE UP - KOTA KASABLANKA

Casa Vertigo Re-Launch Highlight Film

Saine Daise Bistro - PIK