What Makes Rrivre Work? A Peek Inside His World

By Pauline Parry
This is the third in a fun series I've been doing where I get up-close-and-personal with people in our industry. This month I chatted with the multi-talented Rrivre Davies of Rrivre Works in Los Angeles. Rrivre's designs follow his belief that celebrations should provide joyous memories that last a lifetime. His work combines architecture, art, floral design and cultural intuitivism to create extraordinary environments for corporate and entertaining industry events including film premieres, award show, parties and product launches as well as for personal celebrations such as birthdays, anniversaries and bar mitzvahs.

I thought first I'd show you a few of my favorite designs by Rrivre.

The above two photos were from a WIPA event at which Rrivre created a structure within the structure of the venue, the gorgeous Vibiana in downtown Los Angeles, using faux beams built strong enough to suspend chandeliers and wired for power so they could light up.

An event for a bridal magazine cover party.

For an ICA Regional Education Day in Orange County.
The look was beachy, yet elegant, perfectly capturing Southern California.

This is from the same event but in a different area. I love the color scheme and we used it again in Santa Barbara for a V-VIP breakfast.

And now that you know more about his designs, get to know him!

How would you describe your home?
It is an absolutely beautiful home that I am about to tear to pieces and recreate. Why?? Because I can�t help myself.


What is your favorite object in it and why?
I have four black and Rattan Hitchcock chairs that my grandparents bought when they first emigrated from England to the States. My father grew up with them, I grew up with them�they remind me where I come from.
What�s your favorite time of day?
I would have to choose two different times of day. The first would be the Golden Hour when the light dances in a different way each day as the sun begins to fall behind the horizon. I also love the early morning when I wake as it is the beginning of a new day full of new opportunities and chances to love.
Do you have a lucky shirt or something you wear when you are going into a big meeting?
I have a silver chain that I have worn for about 15 years or so now. I bought it when I had no money and no business spending the $250 dollars it cost me; but I had been looking for a unique chain for a while so when I found it I knew I had to cease the opportunity. It was a design I knew I�d love forever and never tire of�and I never have. Sometimes artists create works that resonate for ages, and I suppose it reminds me to always strive for excellence.
What fashion designer do you find you wear the most or what fashion design do you like?
I am really not a label queen. I tend to mix and match my clothing but favor English designers�hmm, I wonder why?
Do you have a design style?
Amazing!!!! Anything else�why bother?
What is your favorite reality show obsession and why?
The news is my favorite reality show. Only I think world affairs are slightly more scripted than most reality shows.

What�s your favorite meal after a long event?
Gin and Tonic, with a twist of fresh Key Lime.
When you entertain at home, do you cook?
Yes!!! People are surprised that I actually am a really good cook. I mainly stick to simple, healthful foods but I LOVE to experiment with unexpected and unique twists on traditional recipes.
If so, what�s your favorite thing to make?
I love cranberry (home made of course) with pesto on Salmon. The idea came to me one Thanksgiving when I was the host. My mom doesn�t eat red meat or poultry so I was determined to create a tasty Thanksgiving alternative. I don�t mind saying, it rocks; and, it pairs quite nicely with asparagus and new potatoes.
What is the one thing you�d like to accomplish in life � big or small?
I really would like to leave a legacy of joy and happiness. I hope to affect those around me in both my work and my personal life in a way that they feel I have enriched their lives in one way or another. I hope to be remembered fondly and have those who knew me reflect joyously on moments we shared. My best friend of 25 years died last year, and I think about him every day. He was not perfect, but he touched so many people in such a positive way it makes me aspire to bring that same kind happiness and fulfillment to those in my life.
In this past year, what was your biggest accomplishment professionally?
My friend LeMar and I started a new magazine called American Gentleman which is directed toward bringing back traditional values promoting class, culture, sophistication and style while still addressing modern trends and considerations. It�s basically a magazine that will serve as both a guide to those aspiring for greatness and a source of refinement for the already established gentleman.
What have accomplished the most personally?
I have an amazing man in my life that really understands and believes in me. My family loves him and my little nephews even ask about him when I visit if he is not there. He loves me just being me. He keeps me in a positive place and allows me to fully enjoy the process of living.
What�s been your favorite event to design and why � of your career?
I have to say a small event we did for FOX for Master and Commander. It was a huge challenge, a short load in, and a tiny elevator.
The room before a Rrivre ran through it...
And after. Quite a difference!
Plus I love ships, and I was able to appeal to all of the senses to truly create something that I am sure they will remember for most of their lives. In 48 hours I transformed a small hotel conference room into the hull of an old wooden ship including sounds of creaking wood, screens arranged behind a false window simulating the ship�s movement on the water. The floor even gave as you walked on it simulating the feeling a a ships deck as it undulates with the waves.
Who is your favorite singer?
I would have to say Sir Elton John. No, not because he is British, but because he is incredible!!! I recall my father in his skin-tight bell bottom corduroy jeans (not a sight I really want to remember) jamming out to Elton, and dragging me into the living room of our home to dance to � Take Me to the Pilot.� He said it helped him relax and feel connected. That was in the 70�s, but Elton is still both relevant and incredible today some 40 years later. What an amazing gift that he can entertain 3 generations and likely continue to inspire those to come. What�s scary is I have two pair of tight bell bottom corduroy jeans.
Where did you most recently go holiday?
Holiday? Who has time for a holiday? Right now my joy is creating, building and writing. Ask me that question 12 months from now as I hope to be spending my Thanksgiving in Thailand.
When you are on holiday, what book would we find you reading? Magazine?
I love art history books and National Geographic.
In 9th Grade!
What do you remember about high school the most?
In high school remember wondering who I was, and who I was going to be; and worrying a lot that I didn�t have the answer yet. In college I remember the athletics and the swim and cycling teams, triathlons, beach lifeguarding, and the absorption of knowledge. At graduation I recall thinking, �Wow, I really do not know that much even though I just graduated from Berkley.�
What would surprise us to learn about you?
I have no design degree. I was a Latin American Studies Major. I studied a ton of art history, but my parents told me that, �With an art degree and a nickel, you will be a nickel short of a cup of coffee.� Now I tell them, �With an art degree and a nickel�imagine.�
What do you wish you had known then that you know now?
I wish I had known that not everybody plays fairly.
What have you learned from your father?
My father taught me about hard work, determination, the value of remaking yourself, craftsmanship, to strive for perfection, to be hard on yourself and push yourself, how to fix your own toilets, and that everybody is created equal. I remember when I was 15 and I was in Morocco, my first day there he took me to the Medina in Tangiers. I was in awe of all the unfamiliar sights and sounds and smells.

I said to my dad, �These people are weird.� He had been holding my hand to make sure we didn�t get separated and suddenly squeezed my hand hard. �You are just as weird to them as they are to you!� That was all he needed to say to change my view of things. I am sure that at that moment he reflected on his fatherly checklist: Racism issue dealt with, check.
And from your mother?
From my mother, I learned about beauty, love, kindness, tenderness, and sensitivity. She taught me that I have more strength in me than I know. My mom showed me that the simple gesture of making food for someone is an easy way to say, �I love you.� Art is instinctual, love is ever present, and going outside your comfort zone only brings you closer to greatness�these are all cherished lessons I learned from my mother.
What type of art affects you?
I really am amazed by architecture; especially really old architecture. It amazes me how much they were able to accomplish in the past considering the limited tools and technology they had available. To me, it really shows a dedication on the part of our ancestors to leave a legacy of beauty, faith, strength, and learning. It is truly something to admire, inspire generations to come.
What irritates you the most about modern life?
What really upsets me is the lack of common courtesy these days and the way that people seem to walk around with blinders on not acknowledging each other�it�s sad, really. I think that we really rob ourselves of opportunities that way. Also, people just used to be more considerate and valued personal integrity whereas today, it seems that these basic tenets of society have fallen to the wayside. Now, it is rare to find that kind of relationship. I think that is so sad. But, I am ever hopeful that we are waking up from a long decline and finding that part of our humanity again. Maybe it will be a human spring.
And I leave with you a few more of my favorite Rrivre "works..."
A classic "Rrivre" bar look

And a not-so-classic look!
This is what I think the inside of an Easter Egg must look like -- a confectionery delight of pastels!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOUSE OF OMURICE BY SUNNY SIDE UP - KOTA KASABLANKA

Casa Vertigo Re-Launch Highlight Film

Saine Daise Bistro - PIK